Thursday, April 2, 2009

What your Asperger Child wants you to know

This was in a book I was reading about Asperger syndrome (which is what we assume Evelyn has). I thought it was cute and helps explains her "quirks" a little better. I also thought it would be helpful for our babysitters, family, and friends to understand Evelyn a little better and how to deal with her. She doesn't react or act the same way as a normal child. We hope this gives you a little insight into her world and will help make being around her a little easier!

         What your Asperger child wants you to know

 

 

·      I may over react for no apparent reason, but usually I have a reason. I just can’t say yet.

·      Just because I was able to control myself for several days does not mean I can today.

·      I don’t misbehave on purpose, and I am not trying to defy or annoy you.

·      Please don’t tell me to “work it out”. I have no idea how to do that.

·      I love to talk and do not know when to stop. Gently remind me to “hold that thought.”

·      I am at my best when every day goes predictably. Please try to have a routine for me.

·      Please warn me in advance of upcoming changes since I do not cope well with change.

·      Keep a close eye on me in group activities because I do not do well in groups.

·      I am at risk for trouble when I have unstructured time. Please help me find things to do.

·      I have to be told in each setting how to behave even if it’s the millionth time you told me

·      I like to be asked or suggested rather than rigidly forced to do something.

·      Please give me a place to go to if I feel like I am getting out of control

·      I respond best to calm and patient authority figures.

·      I can complete things best if you tell me only one step at a time.

·      When I talk about the same thing over and over please gently suggest I talk about it later.

·      I am overly sensitive to punishment and will overreact.

·      I will stop my misbehavior more if you redirect me instead of criticizing me.

·      I am at risk for trouble with transitions and will do better if you help me create a routine.

·      I can follow directions better if you tell me one at a time.

·      I understand explanations and instructions better when they are short and simple

·      Sounds, lights, smells, textures and touch may upset me greatly, and I have to get away.

·      I do my best when the setting is quiet, calm and not too stimulating

·      I respond well to visual cues (e.g. pointing to your ear for me to listen)

·      I am slow to respond if you ask me questions so please give me time to answer.

·      My brain does not work well if I am interrupted. I usually insist on starting all over again

·      Please do not insist I look you in the eye. I am very uncomfortable with eye contact.

·      I am often fussy about what I eat and want the same foods presented in the same way day after day.

·      Small things may fascinate me for hours and I like to do the same thing over and over and over.

·      My vocabulary may be very advanced, but then I get little words all mixed up or don’t understand what people are saying to me.

·      When I lost control over my anger please send me to my quiet place to calm down.

·      I don’t understand jokes or sarcasm so you might have to explain them to me.

·      I follow instructions better when they are repeated several times.

 

Even thought nothing anyone does can cure me, I need your support every day all year and I need you to love me no matter what. 

No comments: