Friday, October 1, 2010

Tonsillectomy's aren't all they are cracked up to be!

Well we are done. Surgery was Tuesday. We are now recovering at home.

I was so nervous before hand. But then I kept getting messages from people who said they were praying for her and for healing. A police officer who works in the city I do was having his Sunday School class pray, and his men's group prayed for her. A dear friend, Rachel, came over the night before. She wanted to pray for Evelyn in person. That gave me a lot of peace and I felt much calmer after that. This whole experience with Evelyn has really tested my faith in what I believe and what I've been taught since childhood. It's hard not to question God's will. I mean...why would God put a child on earth just to have that child endure pain and suffering since birth? But as I've prayed and thought about it, I'm realizing it's not my place to understand. My place is to just believe and have faith. And know this is the way it was meant to be. There is a reason. I may never know it, but God has a reason for placing Evelyn on this Earth. And even more, a reason to place her in our lives. I still struggle with it though. I still struggle with what I believe. But I ask God every day for understanding. To open my heart to understand Him better and to rely on Him. And to just have Trust. And He is listening :)

We went in Tuesday around 9 am. Got in, did the pre op paperwork and consents and Versed was given. She need tonsils and adenoids removed, an upper GI scope, and some ear wax removal. It was like a cocktail of procedures :p . The upper GI was a follow up to the abnormalities of the motility study last week and also to check on reflux damage since she's been complaining of chest pain and has been vomiting with feeds.

She got pretty loopy before she went. They took her about 10:30 and we kissed her goodbye and that was that. An hour and a half later she was done and they told me we would have to wait another hour to see her. That was hard. Her surgeon said all went well with no complications.

They finally came to get me. I went back to recovery and could hear her in the hallway. I knew we were in for another rough recovery period. She was screaming and crying and vomiting. It was the worst thing I've ever seen and I started bawling and wasn't much help. She vomited and gagged non stop for 30 minutes. Non stop as in, no longer than a 5 second break to breath between. She was screaming and crying it hurt her tonsils. I can't imagine how that felt! it had to be so scary and painful. I tried to rock and sooth her but it wasn't much use. They gave her two drugs in her IV for vomiting, some more Morphine and then some Toradol (an IV ibuprofen) also. I got her little computer out and played her music for her over and over and she finally calmed and stopped vomiting and fell asleep. Patrick came back about 45 minutes later. By then she was just sleepy but feeling better

She went to her room about 1:30. She didn't do much except watch movies and snuggle. Around 2:30 she wanted pain medicine so they gave her the liquid percocet we were sent home with. It worked well. 5 is the cut off for staying overnight or going home so they were gonna play it by ear. She was doing really well. She had two glasses of water and a popsicle in the recovery room and like six popsicles in her regular room. At 5:30 they decided she could go home

She had a hard time settling that night. She needed the pain meds around the clock so we made sure to set alarms to give her the medicine and water.

Wednesday she wouldn't eat or drink really anything. SHe was very fussy, had a lot of tantrums, and was super clingy. We couldn't get her to sit still, be calm, nap or go to sleep at night. I was wore out by the end of the day! Thank goodness she had her tube to keep her hydrated. I have no doubt she'd have been rehospitalized by now if not for that.

Thursday was a little better. We were up to full feedings so she had calories and some strength and was hydrated. She even went outside a little bit and for a walk in the stroller. She gets so exhausted though and was beat after being up for 5 minutes. Bed time was better but she still needed meds non stop. You could just tell she was so miserable. She just laid there all day.

Today is much better. She was acting better so I tried just plain Tylenol this morning in place of the Percocet and she hasn't complained at all. She even ran around a little. She's super stuffy and wont' eat or drink but is tolerating her feedings fine. I think we may be on the upswing! She still has no energy though and gets upset with little coughs. I hope she naps again today

Sophia has been difficult so we made sure one of us took her out each day. She's been gone pretty much every day E's been home which is good. They just fight when they are both home and Evelyn gets upset. When she cries she has a lot of pain.

Here's hoping each day gets better! Today and tomorrow are supposed to be the worst but she seems to be doing well. I hope this is the answer we are looking for in getting her to eat. However I have a feeling she won't be eating solids for weeks or even longer.

Thanks everyone for your prayers, kind words and messages! We appreciate it!

No comments: