


This is the story of a girl. A beautiful, vibrant girl. A girl full of life and promise. A girl that loved purple, that got to spend precious time with her mother being home schooled growing up and finally made her way to Grafton High school. A girl that I barely knew existed back then :) Until her final days, we still didn't even know how we met LOL
That girl became a woman. She went to college. She made more friends than I could ever count. She met and married the most devoted husband I've ever met named Matt. I reconnected with her in June of 2009. We both had due dates on the same day. Each week she would post how many weeks she was and it was the only way I knew how far along I was :) We shared aches and pains. Kicks and thumps. Ultrasound pictures. Our fears of labor. Our morning sickness. On February 2, 2010 she gave birth to the most beautiful little girl named Eva. 6 days later I gave birth to Joseph. She loved Eva. She did everything with Eva. The woman and her husband moved to Germantown from Chicago and I was SO happy I could now see her more!
Then when her baby was itty bitty, this woman full of life, found out she had cancer. But the doctors didn't know where. Or what kind. She saw lots of doctors and got lots of tests. During this time her husband and her bought their first home in Menomonee Falls. She was so excited and shared lots of pictures with everyone. They moved to their new home and began another chapter in their lives.
A chapter that included chemotherapy. Harsh medications. Pain and suffering. Sickness and vomiting. Exhaustion. But through all of that this woman kept her spirit. She kept her faith. She never ceased believing in God. She never stopped believing God would heal her.
She shared this faith with all who met her. She was a beacon of hope to those who were discouraged. I had a hard time just with life in general during the time she was sick. But she brought me hope. She shared verses and Scripture with me. She gave me uplifting talks. Sent me hopeful emails. She taught me about trust. Because of this woman, my faith in God returned. My trust returned. My faith in humanity was repaired. I had finally found the God I hadn't really knew was there before. I began praying like I had never prayed before.
I was so happy. I had found the most wonderful friend. I loved spending time with her. We had lunch. Went to the zoo. Had playdates. Talked on facebook. Joey and Eva loved each other. I have such cute pictures of their first kisses. We couldn't wait for Matt and Patrick to meet. We always said they could talk "church" talk :) Both were devout Catholics.
But that woman got sicker. But she never lost faith. Never gave up hope. She still had a stunning smile and still loved her husband and baby. She still talked of God healing her.
However, life was busy. Me and the beautiful woman just couldn't get together as much as I'd like. And I regret it so much. I regret being too "busy" to get together often. I regret not being able to call her often. I regret not spending more time with her these past few months. The guilt is overwhelming.
In October Evelyn was going to have surgery and this beautiful friend wanted to come over to pray over her. This woman was tired and didn't feel good. And she still drove herself all the way to our house to pray over Evelyn. And even prayed over Sophia who felt left out :) I felt so much peace after that and I knew Evelyn would be okay. This woman and her family prayed daily for Evelyn. Little old Evelyn. Even when she was sick and could lose her life, they found time to pray for my baby. That shows what type of person she was.
In November we got the babies together. I have lots of pictures of that day. I never knew it would be our last play date. The babies had a blast and we had an amazing conversation for hours. About our kids. Husbands. Our hopes and dreams. What we wanted for our kids. She spoke of her fears.
In December we got together for lunch at Olive Garden. I felt badly that she offered to come all the way here because I had all the kids. I knew she was tired. But she came and we had a wonderful lunch. We took more pictures of the babies together who now interacted with each other. We ate lots of salad and breadsticks. I remember her saying she would treat me to lunch next time and I promised her I would come to her neck of the woods next time. I never knew there would be no next time
That same night she invited me to a Catholic healing Mass. I met Matt for the first time. It was very eye opening to me. I remember us standing together singing "Blessed Be the Name of the Lord" together and hearing her voice. During the prayer petitions she spoke up and prayed for Evelyn. I started to cry. Once again she was putting others before herself.
I hugged her goodbye. I never knew it would be our last time going anywhere together.
Life got busy. Christmas and New Years came and went. She told me she had stopped chemo because it wasn't helping. I at the time never knew exactly that it meant something significant. I just thought she would be trying another treatment.
The beginning of January she messaged me on Facebook and I asked her how she was feeling. She told me she was tired but had lots of help. I asked about holistic options and she told me she'd consider it if need be. We only talked for 10 minutes and then I had something to do and told her I had to go but we would talk again soon. I regret that so much. I had something to do. Was too busy to talk to her. It would be our last real conversation. What was so freaking important that I had to go? Something stupid I'm sure. I know she wouldn't want me to think like that but I regret it so much. I should have stayed and talked. I didn't understand how sick she had become. Not a clue. I should have stayed and talked. We'd never have another conversation like that.
I emailed her the next week and she didn't answer. I texted her and she didn't answer. I got worried and tried to call but no one answered.
Then her mom posted a picture of her on facebook and I started to cry. Because I didn't know how sick she was. I had no idea. What kind of friend has no idea? I knew in my heart what that meant. I'm a nurse. I understand this whole process. But I also knew while medically there was no hope, spiritually there was. God could still perform a miracle. I began to pray to Pope John Paul the II for his intercession. In order to become a Saint, he needs to perform a miracle after his death. I prayed that she would be his miracle. I prayed all day for two days. Patrick prayed.
I finally got a hold of her mom and asked if I could see her. I knew if God chose not to perform a miracle on Rachel's body, that it would be my last goodbye. I am forever grateful to her mom and husband for allowing us to stop by that same day last Sunday. I was scared. I cried the whole day. I was afraid. I was afraid that she didn't look like how I remembered her. I was scared I wouldn't be able to do it. I wouldn't be able to say what I needed to. I knew she wasn't really awake and couldn't talk much and I had no clue how I would get through it without bawling.
But I didn't need to worry. As Patrick put it, that was a house of hope. As soon as I stepped foot inside I had so much peace and was calm and collected. I met her brother and her mother in law. This house was full of love and hope. And I got so much hope from being there. I had more hope and faith maybe God would heal her here on Earth. Her family is an amazing family. So cheerful and upbeat. She was beautiful. She had her gorgeous smile. She was able to talk a lot to me. We talked about our memories. About how we would get the babies together this summer. About faith. I read to her from Corinthians. Patrick and I said a prayer for the sick over her. Patrick got to meet her. And Matt. I told her they finally met and she smiled a big smile. I told her how good Evelyn was doing and how she'd be having her new feeding tube on Tuesday. I asked if I could bring Evelyn next time I visited for her to see and she said she would love that. She was very much alert and awake. I held her hand. I told her how much she meant to me and told her everything I needed to. When it was time to go I told her I would see her soon. I gave her a hug and kiss and told her I loved her very much. She said she loved me too. That was the hardest thing in the world to walk out of that house. Because I knew if God didn't heal her, that would be my last goodbye. As I was leaving she was able to say "Thank you for coming." I couldn't help laughing . Once again putting others first.
The next day, January 24th, this beautiful woman was healed. God finally healed her. Not in the way we had all hoped, but in a way none of us on Earth can imagine. She went to meet the Lord and is now perfect. Her body is perfect. The cancer is gone. Her body is whole. She is healed. There is no more pain. No more suffering. She is now healed.
My heart is broken. I had so many hopes and dreams for our friendship. For us raising our babies together. And future babies. I looked forward to play dates this summer. And getting to know her amazing family better. And hanging out with her cousins, sister in law, and friends. They are an amazing group of people. And now, that won't happen. Because she isn't here on Earth anymore.
But she's very much alive. In a way none of us can even imagine. THe joy she must be feeling right now, to be with the very One whom she trusted so much. Whom she adored and loved. Whom she always put first. Her joy is something we can't even imagine.
But we miss her here on Earth. My heart breaks for Matt. For her mom. For baby Eva. For all her friends and family. For those that loved her.
Tonight I will say goodbye to her Earthly body. I'm not sure how in the world I'm going to do it. I cry even imagining trying. But my pain is only a fraction of what her poor family is feeling. And that makes it so much more sad. She was so so loved.
This is the story of a girl. A beautiful amazing girl named Rachel. Rachel Kirchner. Who was taken from this Earth too soon at the age of 27. From a disease they never could find the source of. She lived her life with dignity and grace.
"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." 2 Timothy 4:7
Rachel-I miss you. This wasn't supposed to be how it was. I so looked forward to our friendship blossoming. Our husbands becoming friends. Our babies growing up together. But it wasn't meant to be that way. The Lord knew from the day you were conceived that this is how it would end. Which is why He made you the way you were. Full of trust and love. A beacon to others. A warrior of Christ. A faithful Christian. He put you on this Earth to touch all these lives of those who loved you. To help others, like me, find their faith in God again. And we are grateful. And we will never forget.
I love you Rachel. Rest in peace. Until we meet again.
No comments:
Post a Comment