Friday, November 7, 2008

Busy busy life

I haven't had much time to write. Life has been crazy. I feel like we are working non stop. We got the house ready for winter and the snowblower is rearing to go! Especially depressing is that last week it was 75 degrees and today it is freezing and snowing. Gotta love Wisconsin.

I'm glad the election is over. I'm glad all the craziness with politics and arguing with people is over. There have been some heated words and I can't say I'm sad to not have to do this again for 4 years!

The girls are doing great. Evelyn is just thriving in school. The teachers have nothing but good things to say about her. Her social skills have taken off since starting. I'm very glad we sent her, but wish it could be more often. Her temper is still very wild. She's worse after school. I know she loves it there, but I think she's too excited to eat a good snack and it's tiring. So by the time she gets home she is hungry and cranky and tired. Today was our best after school day so far. Not a peep. She fell asleep on the way home in the car, ate a good lunch, took a 3 hour nap and even got her "privledge" of "quiet living room" meaning she can stay in the living room quiet after Sophie goes to bed as long as she is quiet. 

Her speech is improving. Speech therapy has been a nightmare. Because it is government run, they can take their sweet time. By the time she starts speech therapy-if she starts-it will have been 7 months since we started this process. It's taken almost 2 months just to consent to have her tested! And *cough* people want our healthcare run like that? No thanks

She has done less and less of the echolalia. We were forcing her to answer questions by repeating the question over and over and over until she'd answer it correctly. It seemed like it suddenly just "clicked." she's been doing very good answering since. I doubt she'll even pass her speech test and need therapy.

She can read all the letters, recognize 3 or 4 words, count to almost 30, speak in long drawn out sentences, and memorize entire songs and lines to movies after just a few times. She's just cute and funny. She's putting on some weight slowly. She is 26.5 lbs now.

We cancelled her 2nd appointment at Children's for next week. No thanks! They messed her up enough last time.

Oh yeah, today was the first time ever she told me she had to go potty. She did it once and I made a big deal. Later she did it again and I made a big deal again. It seems like she "got" it after that and did it a 3rd time. I am praying we are on our way to getting her truly potty trained soon. She stays dry all day and has for months, but can't do any part of the potty trip herself and won't tell us if she has to go. We just have to guess

Sophie is getting huge. She is 28ish pounds now and getting lots of curly hair. She's really bulking up! She is sassy like her sister and I think her mission right now is to do everything in her power to irritate her sister. She is so smart. She knows a lot of the words to books, repeats EVERYTHING you say, can put two to three words together, can chew whole vitamins (hey..we're proud!) tells us if she needs a new diaper, and tells us when she wants to sleep. She loves to cuddle and have us read to her. She's such a joy. She's so easy going.

They are such opposites it amazes me. Evelyn is hyper, high strung, easily irritated, can sit and play with one thing for a long time, wont do much on her own without help, doesn't like to eat, has a temper, has brown hair and green eyes, is skinny, has unmanageble hair, sleeps alot, and likes to play by herself

Sophia is calm, collected, nothing phases her, won't play with anything more than 4 minutes, does a lot by herself (i sometimes think she will be potty trained and will dress herself before Evelyn does), loves to eat, is not easily angered, has blondish hair, blue eyes, is a chunk, has the easiest to comb hair ever, is not the best sleeper, and loves to play with others

Two kids, same parents, same upbringing, yet so different. I'll never understand :)

No comments: