Our latest drama-she has to go see an orthopedic doctor at Children's. Her occupational therapist who has only seen her two times (her regular OT is on maternity leave) pointed out yesterday her feet and ankles and asked if she was being treated for that. Umm treated for what? She had her take off her socks and rolled up her pants and had her walk. Her ankles weren't even in line with her feet. They were like 2 inches to the inside of her legs, so she basically was walking on the insides of her feet. It was SO obvious and looked really bad. Uhhh....how in the world did we not notice that? So that explains her clumsiness and that she wakes up several times a week screaming that her feet hurt. *sigh* so off we go on Monday to see yet another doctor. I have no idea how they treat that.
She FINALLY gets tested next friday for her speech therapy. Then 4 weeks later she has her IEP meeting at the school which will determine what special education she qualifies for. I really hope she qualifies for speech because I have no clue how we will pay for both speech therapy AND occupational therapy. We'd have to pick one...and I'm not sure which is more important. SO wish us luck that she gets accepted!
I really feel like a crummy mom at times like this. I mean, you'd think we never spent time with our kid to miss all these issues she has. It's when complete strangers point it out to us, that it's a "duh" moment, and we wonder how we missed it. I guess maybe because she's our first, and we are so busy with two, we just don't notice or think it's normal.
It took us until age 3 to figure out she had sensory issues. Once they explained what SID was, it was like "ohhh so that's why she's like that." She'd been like that since birth. Took us 3 years to do something about it. Ideally, she should have started treatment 2 years ago. Then the OT pointed out what horrible torso tone she has and how curved her spine is. And also how weak muscle strength she has. Her posture looks AWFUL (see the pic at the top of the blog on the right side...that's how she sits. she can't sit up straight at all unless forced)....and we didn't notice it until she pointed it out. The low muscle tone in her torso is probably what is making her unable to poop much...which we also didn't treat until age 3, even though it went on over a year. Then we find out she has a pretty major speech delay-echolalia, which can really hinder learning. Yep....missed that one. Once we researched it, it fit her to a T. Now the feet/ankle thing. It's sooo obvious, yet we missed it for 3 1/2 years.
Wonder what else will pop up. We are running out of days in the week to get to doctor's and therapists for all this stuff. And gonna run out of money soon as well.
I don't think I'm getting parent of the year award this year.
No comments:
Post a Comment