Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Crazy September!

We have a rough September ahead of us so just asking for prayers to make it through unscathed!

First off, I got a new job. I'll be back in the ER. I'm sad to leave my current job though. I loved it there. Loved the people, loved the job. Easily my favorite job ever! But we didn't have reliable childcare. There were days I found a sitter with just a few hours to spare. It was getting to be too much. Plus when Evelyn starts school I had to leave before she'd get home making childcare even harder because that person would have to get E from school. I just didn't see how it would work. it was only 5 times a month but that's why it was so hard. No one wants to commit to only 5 days per month for only 5 hours. So it was time to go back to the ER. With this new job I make my own schedule around Patrick's eliminating childcare. Also, it's confusing but I work two less days a week but end up working 4 more hours per pay period (plus a huge raise!). Right now I work 2/3 five hour shifts a week. This would be 3 eight hour shifts a pay period. Right now I only work during the week meaning I always work 3-5 days during the work week between the two jobs. The new job I can do weekends meaning I'd have off more time during the week for appointments/therapies etc.

Evelyn has some testing coming up. The first is an esophageal monometery study. Basically they put a tube down her nose, into her throat and to the upper part of her stomach. They then do a swallow study with it in. She has to eat and they measure the strength of her esophagus muscles to see if she has anything structurally wrong with her that makes her not eat. However, Evelyn will never tolerate the tube going down her throat so she needs general anesthesia to place the tube. They then let her wake up, have her eat, and take the tube out. She reacts horribly to anesthesia, but would react to the tube placement as well. We are kinda stuck with that one but think anesthesia is the better option. She will NOT like waking up with that tube in place though :( That test is Sept 16th.

Then on Sept 28th she is getting her tonsils and adenoids out. I'm not thrilled about that. It's a hard long recovery and she could miss up to 2 weeks of school. The G tube makes it easier though. A lot of kids end up back in the hospital for dehydration but because of her tube we won't have that issue. But I know it will still be tough.

She has a bunch of pre op and post op appointments, regular feeding team appointments and feeding therapy appointments. Between that and school starting (all of which seem to be days Patrick works) we need tons of babysitters this month. We haven't even figured all those out! I will be glad when this month is over. Plus I'll be working full time the first 2-3 months at my new job so all the logistics are overwhelming. We usually use high school students during the summer for childcare but they will all be in school. So we ask for prayers that we can figure everything out and find all the childcare we need (and not go broke!) and Patrick can get off the times we need as well.

She will miss a lot of school this year but we want to send her anyways and keep life as normal as possible for her. We got all her school supplies and lunch box last week and she seems excited. But I'm still not sure she knows what's gonna happen :)

Sophia still doesn't want to go to school but we are sending her anyways :) We need a break from each other. She's acting out a lot and I think she needs to get out and play with other kids and learn the whole school thing. She'll go two days a week (half days) so just enough to get her out into the world :)

That's about all with us. We'll keep everyone updated with how she does this month.

No comments: