Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Let the germs begin!

We have always been blessed to be able to be home with our kids and not need childcare. I see so many parents who don't have that option and I really really really feel blessed that one of us was always there for the most formidable years in their lives. 

But kids grow up and now they are going out into the real world. One perk of always being home with them? No sickness. Seriously...I think I had the healthiest kids on the planet. They never ever got sick. Ever. I can only remember one or two times for Evelyn and maybe two for Sophia plus chicken pox. 

Now enters the real world. The kids go to a sitter now once a week on Tuesdays for our own sanity. Complete with other kids. Wednesday is therapy day. Who knows how often they clean that stuff. And how do I put this delicately....the kids who need therapy are NOT the type who are going to be covering their mouth and nose while coughing or washing their hands after going to the bathroom. Then Friday is school complete with 15 other snotty nosed 3 year olds. Wonderful!

So we are 3 weeks into sending our kids out into the real world. 3 whole weeks. That's it. Add a couple weeks for the new sitter before that. Guess how many times they've been sick. THREE! I mean seriously.....3 weeks......3 sicknesses. I give up! When they woke up Saturday sick again I wanted to scream. THIS is why I kept them home those first years. The first sickness hit around the end of August. Right in time for Evelyn's Bday party. Sophia got RSV and pneumonia and an ear infection. Fast forward two weeks. Another sniffle cold thing. Then this week. Major nose snotting and coughing and crankiness. Poor Sophie can't even swallow. It's so nice of Evelyn to share and bring the germs home to her sister.

Evelyn fights off stuff quick. If she gets sick its 2 days at the most. So I can deal. But then she brings it to Sophie who has a horrible immune system. The kid gets a cold and is sick for weeks. Her last cold turned into pneumonia. Evelyn is already better and Sophia is still snotting away today. I don't get it. Two kids. Same parents. Same house. So different from each other! I pray we don't have another ER visit for breathing treatments. 

People told me the first year is the worst. Then it gets better. Excuse me? Year?? What do you  mean "year"? You mean to tell me they will be constantly sick for a YEAR!?!?!?! Yep. That's what I am told. One year of constant sickness. Wonderful. 

So that's my rant for the day. I swear. I am going to lock them up in the house and never let them go out. I hate sick kids. Especially sick kids who NEVER got sick before. Homeschooling isn't sounding so bad right around now

No comments: