Her weight today was 25 lbs, about the size of an 18 month old. Our doctor referred us to the GI clinic at children's to try to figure things out.
It was great. The doctor was very nice. We spent almost 3 hours there. They were very thorough. They have you meet with a nurse practitioner, the doctor, and a nutrionist. They each can help you through the problems relating to their field which is nice.
She had blood work today to test for diseases such as Celiac disease, autoimmune diseases, thyroid problems, and infections.
She has been complaining of constant stomach aches, won't eat, sleeps excessively, is having behavior problems, complaining of joint pain, and having problems with pooping (sorry, too much info I know!)
They think because she can't go to the bathroom, it's causing the abdominal pain and decreased appetite. So they prescribed some medication to help "clean her out" so we can start from scratch. We start that tomorrow (fun!)
They also gave us tips on improving her behavior at meal time, and to get her to eat. We are supposed to limit meals to 30 minutes. Nothing but water between meals. They also put her on 16 ounces of Carnation instant breakfast daily after meals and before bed. They gave us tips on increasing calories and put her on a high calorie diet.
They want to see if they resolve the pooping issues, and improve calorie intake if she will gain on her own. She goes back in two months and if she hasn't gained they will start medication to stimulate her appetite and will do more invasive testing.
We are hoping for the best. I would love for her to gain 2-3 pounds in the next few months. She has been stuck under 25 for as long as I can remember!
I bought her so many school clothes and none fit. She wears a 12 month waist, but a 4T length, so you can imagine my issues! I'd just be nice for her to fit into clothes again.
Hopefully once she isn't malnourished anymore her behavior and sleeping issues will improve (the kid still sleeps 17 hours a day!)
Once we figure that all out, we will have to re potty train her as they are sure she will regress when we put diapers back on for the whole "cleaning her out" thing
So we are hoping for the best. Keep Evie in your thoughts and prayers!
3 comments:
Wow, this is great, Joanne!! What a great idea! Just remember that Evie and you and your whole family are in our prayers.
Take care and God bless,
Nanc
GREAT idea! We will definitly keep Evelyn in our prayers and our fingers crossed that she starts gaining some weight!
I'm SO glad Joanne they are finally helping you on this! I know how long you've been trying to get them to open their eyes! I hope its all uphill from here! See you on Monday!! Tell Eveyln Autumn is very excited to come play this week!!
Post a Comment